Cheers to the New Year, y’all! It’s a time for resolutions, exciting new things and time too apply for your Homestead Exemption for your primary residence. Did you buy a home in 2018? Then you don’t want to forget to apply for your Homestead Exemption. It’s actually a super simple process, but I’m here to help you through it! Let’s break down this whole Homestead Exemption thing…
Who qualifies for a Homestead Exemption?
Requirements to receive the exemption:
- Must own the property on January 1 of the year you are applying. January 1 is not required if you’re over 65 and/or disabled.
- Must reside at your home as primary residence.
- Must be individual homeowner, not entities or corporation.
- Can be house, manufactured home or mobile home. Can include up to 20 acres if land is used as yard and owned by homeowner.
- Must apply between January 1 and April 30 for year you intend to use exemption.
How to apply?
- Find and complete APPLICATION FOR RESIDENTIAL HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION.
- Include copy of Driver’s License or identification Card. Address on the cards must match the homestead address.
Remember, this can ONLY be used on your primary residence. Not investment properties, not land. The best resource to use when applying for your Homestead Exemption is your local county appraisal district’s office/website or the Texas Comptroller.
File today and get that tax break!