It’s time to clean up your space! Jumping along with the trend of all of my fellow Netflix lovers and I have to admit that my newest obsession is Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. I love that her method is focused on sparking JOY instead of just keeping it your home clean for sake of being clean. It gives you a completely new perspective on organizing and tidying up! I’m even adding her book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo to my 2019 reading list.
I love that a big emphasis in January and the new year ahead are resolutions. I mean, hello… New Year, New Me! With resolutions in mind, organization in your home can really help you be a productive person.
I’ve seen a new way that people are accomplishing their tidying up resolutions is to assign one room or task per month throughout the year. It’s a fantastic way to hold yourself accountable and keep what you need and rid yourself of what you don’t. Below is a month-by-month breakdown of my tidying up calendar that you can use, too!
- January: Food
- Pantry, refrigerators and freezers. Check expiration dates and label/organize freezer/refrigerator food to easily find foods.
- February: Kitchen Cupboards & Drawers
- Throw away that Tupperware you don’t use and organize those utensils.
- March: Bathroom Cupboards & Closets
- Be gone old make up that’s never used and make room for freshly cleaned linens.
- April: Office & Craft Supplies
- Look through paperwork and clear out unwanted wrapping paper or ribbons.
- May: Paperwork
- Shred or keep! Look at bills, how-to manuals and file accordingly.
- June: Garage & Storage Spaces
- Buy more storage bins and label decor and don’t forget about that attic!
- July: Digital – CDs/DVDs, Emails, Pics/Docs
- Switch over all home videos to DVDs and organize movies and CDs to one location.
- August: Outdoor Spaces
- Move around those rakes, clean up around the grill area and repaint or repair outdoor furniture.
- September: Laundry Room
- Deep clean laundry, label types of clothes (colors, jeans, etc.) and clean out dryer vent.
- October: Winterize Your Home
- Not quite tidying up, but preparing it for winter like cleaning out the chimney.
- November: Launder curtains and linens
- Knock off the dust! Get those curtains (shower curtains, too) cleaned and grab your comforters and duvets in the process.
- December: Dressers & Closets
- Donate unwanted clothing and coordinate by season and color.
The good thing about tidying up is there’s inspiration everywhere! You can look on social channels like Instagram and Pinterest for inspiration. I really enjoy follow THE HOME EDIT® on Instagram. These ladies have organized for Khloe Kardashian (the QUEEN of beautiful Oreo jars) and been featured on the Today Show. HELLO GOALS! Pinterest is alway such a great resource to save ideas and more. Check out my Pinterest Page on Home Organization. I work best on visuals, so I really enjoy following different pages on social platforms to give me new ideas.
The Container Store
Another way to keep your home organized is by shipping at The Container Store. This place is a GAME CHANGER! I feel like a kid in a candy store when I shop here because their items are super specific from shoes to kitchen spices to your office space. Below are some of my top items from The Container Store that help me stay tidy. I also recommend signing up for their email list serve because they do regularly email out great deals and discount codes.
- The Acrylic Make Up Organizer is perfect for keep all of your make up brushes, eyeshadow pallets and lipsticks in plain sight. I’ve noticed when I keep my make up in a bag all jumbled together, that it’s easy to forget what you even have.
- Shoes, shoes, shoes! The shoe boxes keep shoes free of dust while in plain sight as well. They’re easy to stack on a shelf or on the ground and easy to travel with.
- Velvet hangers seem a little diva, right? WRONG! These bad boys maximize space in the closet while holding up all of my off-the-shoulder tops and other hard to hang clothing items. BIG FAN! Amazon also has great choices in bulk on Prime.
- All your food organization dreams are brought to you by OXO Good Grips storage containers. They’re airtight containers and are a fantastic way to keep fresh food organized in a pantry. Worried about expiration dates? Tear the date off the original box and tape it to the back of the OXO container.
It’s a new year for an organized YOU! I hope that some of these products, lists and tips are useful to you in your home! Excited to hear about what your goals are this year for tidying up your home.